Skip to Main Content

Deaths Due to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


Sheriff Tim Roberson reports that on February 22nd, his office responded to a call of unresponsive individuals found at a residence located off of New Hope Rd. in Boone County.  When emergency personnel arrived at the location they discovered four individuals unresponsive inside a small storage structure that the family was living in.  59 year old, Eston Warren was pronounced deceased at the scene.  Emergency personnel performed lifesaving treatment to 50 year old Betty Warren, 29 year old Amber Watts and a 9 year old daughter.  The child was transported to North Arkansas Regional Medical Center and was later pronounced deceased.  The two female victims were transported by Med Evac helicopter to Cox South in Springfield where they are still in critical condition.  The cause of the incident was determined to be carbon monoxide poisoning due to the kerosene heaters that were being utilized within the small space.

Sheriff Roberson would like to remind citizens that during times of extreme cold or power outages to use caution when using generators and alternate heat sources in confined living spaces.  Carbon monoxide is produced from these heat sources and combustion engines that prevents the body from getting oxygen.  Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, chest pain, confusion and shortness of breath.  The Sheriff encourages that family's should take stock of the safety of their family by checking fire extinguishers, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. 

This incident is a tragic case that has occurred to this family and is not intended to spread shame.  It needs to be emphasized as a reminder to take reflection on your own family's safety during difficult times due to weather.